Mortgage Loan Officer Salary
In many cases, loan officers play a part in helping us finance the important key events in our lives. Buying a new car, investing in a new home, or financing a college education are some of many dreams that loan officers can help us achieve. It’s a noble profession and one that has the potential of being highly rewarding and satisfying.
Estimated Loan Officer Salary
It’s difficult to pinpoint an exact loan officer salary because it’s largely dependent on education, experience, location and tenure. In the United States loan officers can expect to earn an average of $41,000 a year with total cash compensation bottoming out at approximately $27,000 and gets close to $76,000 on the high end. The highest paid positions come with bonuses of around $10,000 and about $9,000 from profit sharing. A significant number of people in this profession have reported that they also receive medical coverage from their employers as well as dental insurance, perks that go a lot way towards job satisfaction.
The highest paid salaries in the loan officer profession work in the metropolitan areas of Sale and Lawrence, Massachusetts, New York City, Midland, Texas, San Francisco, California and Ocala, Florida.
Loan Officer Employment Opportunities
The majority of loan officers are employed by credit unions, commercial banks, mortgage companies, and associated financial institutions. Most consumer and commercial loan officer’s work on a full time basis and typically long hours. With the exception of consumer loan officers, traveling to consult with clients is fairly common.You can always check our site for the most current loan officer jobs.
Loan Officer Education and Training
Loan officers are generally required to have a minimum of a bachelors degree, ideally in a business related field which include accounting, finance and/or economics. Mortgage loan officers must have a mortgage loan originator license that requires that they pass an NMLS exam, have a minimum 20 hours of NMLS course work and successfully get through a MLO credit check and MLO background checks. Further on the job training takes place as well. This is usually a combination of formal, sponsored training as well as informal training over the first few months of employment. Licenses need to be renewed every year, and NMLS continuing education requirements may come into play in different states.
Loan officers whose career path progresses to positions that include Branch Manager or Bank VP role will result in a significant pay raise. On average, a Branch Manager or Bank VP can earn approximately $71,000 annually. It’s fairly common for loan officers to move into positions as Commercial loan officers or Bank Branch managers, groups that report median salaries that typically come in at around $25,000 and $11,000 higher, respectively.
Loan Officer Skill Sets
Important loan officer skill sets include the ability to handle commercial loans, residential loans and financial analysis, all associated with pay that’s substantially above average, resulting in increases of 22%, 46% and 13%. Skills sets that pay less than the average market rate include customer service, loan processing and consumer loans. For many individuals, proficiency in consumer loans usually means knowledge of loan underwriting and customer service.
The best loan officers are devoted, determined salespeople because most are compensated exclusively on commission. It’s also important to be detail oriented, because today’s loans include numerous data factors. In addition, loan officers need great decision making skills because they need to be able to analyze an applicants financial information in order to decide whether to award a loan. Successful loan officers are also good at disciplined follow up and communication, with exceptional customer service being the key to their success. Stellar customer service skills will lead to more business in the future. Those that focus on doing a great job and treating people fairly will also get referrals – the key to success in any industry.
So if you are ready to start your career as a loan officer select you State from here and sign up for your classes to get started!
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.B.A. (Master of Business Administration) - Self designed
- D.B.A. - Self-Designed
- D.B.A. in Social Impact Management
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Bachelor of Science: Business Administration: Communications
- Bachelor of Science: Business Administration: Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Science: Informatics: Healthcare Informatics
- And more...
- Earn your Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) 100% online
- Learn business and leadership skills through case studies and intensive projects, culminating in a capstone course
- Program designed to teach students key concepts in accounting, financial services, and marketing
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Business Administration (DBA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- And more...
- Join GCU's Colangelo College of Business and start down the path to a successful business career.
- Bachelor's and master's degrees that help prepare students to be business leaders.
- Leading-edge degrees that address the demands of contemporary business environments.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- Committed to providing students a values-based education centered on Christian principles
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Bridge (Doctor of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Data Analytics)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - General
- And more...