NMLS National and State Testing
The SAFE Mortgage Loan Originator test is comprised of two parts, the National component and State component. Please note that many states require you to pass National and State tests before you are able to submit an application through the NMLS.
- National Component – All state licensed MLOs must pass the National component of the SAFE MLO test. The National component of the test costs $110.
- State Component – All state licensed MLOs must pass the State component of the SAFE MLO test in which they plan to practice. (If you plan on providing loans in multiple states you must pass each test for each state.) The State component of the test costs $69.
Federally registered MLOs are not required to take either National or State component of the SAFE MLO test.
If you do not pass a component of the test, there is a waiting period to re-take the test.
- Initial fail of the test requires waiting 30 days to re-take
- 2nd fail of the test requires waiting 30 days to re-take
- 3rd fail of the test requires waiting 180 days to re-take
Note: After the 3rd re-take and 180 days has passed, the cycle repeats. For example, if you were to fail a 4th time you will only need to wait 30 days to re-take the test.
The following resources provided by the NMLS will help provide you with more information about the test:
- Test Component Content Outlines – provides an overview of what will be covered on each test, the number of questions, how each test is weighted and a reference list.
- MLO Testing Handbook – a detailed guide for the entire testing process.